Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: iTunes | Android |
Show Notes: Sadly, skincare/beauty products are not put through any “safety” test so you don’t know when something isn’t so great for you. There is no “product recall” in place to protect us from harmful ingredients found in our beauty care. How do we protect our health when using our beauty products? By educating ourselves on what ingredients have proven or are even suspected to cause harm. In Europe there has been a ban of over 1000 ingredients known to cause harm in cosmetics and we have only had a few. Mostly those pertaining to skin lighting agents (hydroquinone) and hair straightening treatments have been banned. The rest is up to us to research and avoid within our own skincare regiment. Harmful ingredients will not only age your skin but create an unbalance to your overall well-being. Read your labels. Generally if you can’t pronounce the name of an ingredient then it most likely does not belong in or on your body.
1. Use a sunscreen with zinc Oxide or titanium Dioxide. SPF 15 or 30 depending on outdoor Activity. Reapply often. Prevent sun damage! sunspots on your hands are a result of the unprotected sun exposure so don’t forget the rest of your body. Even if you work indoors and sit by a window the sun can find you and create damage. Wear a hat that covers your face and don’t forget to protect your eyes (sunglasses). We have UVB and UVA light rays and just for your 411-UVA sun rays can go through windows and land on your skin which is cancer producing. So wear your sunscreen all seasons-365 days a year- come rain or shine.
2. People who smoke age rapidly so if that alone can make you stop great! Your overall well being is in jeopardy but you already know that. I know that it is hard to quit smoking so let me share some tips that have helped others. The number one jump start in quitting smoking is really wanting to quit. Nicotine is addicting so trying to quit all by your lonesome may be difficult so seek help. Visit you primary physician and let he or she know that you are ready to quit smoking. The physician can make certain nicotine replacement recommendations that have been proven successful . Recruit the help of family and friends because it’s those in your social circle that will prevent you from lighting “just one more” in your weak moments. Consider behavioral therapy along with your physician recommendations to ensure your success.
3. Keep your stress in check. Incorporate restful music, sports exercise most especially when you are eliminating bad habits such as smoking and drinking. Meditate, visualize, breath and take naps! By the way, when you exercise please don’t tense your jaw because the cords that run along your neck stand out and pulls down the face making you look older and tired.
4. Eat more fruits, vegetables and drink more water. Please don’t drink your water through a straw because it creates lines. Consider adding light juicing if you don’t consume lots of veggies. Eliminate if possible, excess salt, caffeine and most especially sugar The sugar in our diet is bad because it breaks down the collagen and elastin in the skin causing you to age quicker.
5. Allow your skin to repair itself at night by getting a good night sleep. Utilize silk or satin pillow case so you don’t wake up with lines on your face. If your budget allow, invest in 1000 thread count sheets and pillow cases this helps prevent wrinkles/sleep lines. Change your pillow cases daily because they collect bacteria and absorbs the oils from our skincare products on our face at night.
6. Pamper your skin by providing it with excellent and consistent skincare. Cleanse, Moisturize and use sunscreen.those We want to boost cell turnover and chase away those DNA-havoc creating free radicals.
Daily and consistent steps will ensure healthy and beautiful skin.