On our other podcasts: 1. All About Angels 2. Audio Book club & Ask cieloscent-http://rosary.cieloscent.com
Our AUDIO Book Club: http://radio.cieloscent.com/
Our skincare conversation today: All about UVA Radiation. There are three types of ultraviolet rays that I will be covering in the next two episodes:
Ultraviolet (UV) rays -A -B-C. Many people don’t realize that a C type exists and we are going to learn all about it right here. Let’s break this subject apart and arm ourselves with knowledge. These days the sun has longer arms to reach you EVEN during the winter months! What does that mean! UVA rays can penetrate through your windows while driving or at home and work. Have you heard of “asymmetrical facial damage”? Let’s say you go to your work place and sit by that nice sunny window day in and out without sun protection. The side of your face and unexposed side of your body will reflect sun damage by more premature aging, wrinkles and even sagging. You will have this damage more prominent on one side than the other! The simple practice of placing sunscreen on and repeating the action throughout the day can prevent this type of premature aging most especially on the side facing the sun. Yes! UVA radiation can take hold of you ever so quietly penetrating deeper and creating more damage than the other rays. You see all UV rays are not created equal! Yes, they will all hurt you but these rays do so differently. I used the phrase “longer arms” when opening this show because I want you to remember that UVA rays are longer and can penetrate deeper than the other rays. The inner most layer of our skin is referred to as the basal and this is where most of skin cancer begins. Both UVA and UVB rays can initiate skin cancer. You must protect yourself 365 days a year from the sun! By the way, UVA rays can absolutely burn your skin. Sunburn is UV-B’s job which as you know hurts the out side but UV-A can burn deep into the layers of your skin. Here is something else about UV-A rays-they are the cause of serious eye problems/disorders such as cataracts, inflammation of the cornea, and other inflammatory eye conditions. The rays here again penetrate deep into the eyes. Melanoma skin cancer are dark lesions in the skin that can spread. UVA rays are responsible for this type of cancer. The number one method to avoid pre-mature aging and prevention of skin cancer is to use your sunscreen daily. At least 90-95% of skin cancer are a result of sun damage. Check yourself every month (wear your birthday suit) for any unusual marks, spots, discolorations or bleeding on your entire skin. Yes, your skin is unlike any other organ in your body but it is an organ just the same and the largest one at that! So take your time and look at yourself naked and don’t be shy because your life can depend on it.
What do you need to do to protect yourself from this form of energy?
1. Although, we are concentrating on what UVA rays do -you must use a sunscreen that reads:
BROAD SPECTRUM-This means that you have protection from UVA and UVB.
2. Apply generously all over-exposed to the sun-skin.
3. Wear protective clothing if you will be out doors. Even when out in the snow you can get a sun burn.
4. Don’t use tanning beds!
5. Use a Sun protection Factor (SPF) of 15 or 30 and above. Reapply sunscreen every two hours. Water resistance.
6. I adore the sun and attend to my little garden before 10am for some unprotected sun. I like my vitamin D the old fashion way so a little sun my skin enjoys too. I am not suggesting that you stop any vitamin supplements prescribed by your physician. Partner with your physician before you add or change anything to your skin/health regiment. Exfoliate.
7. Sunscreens are actually monitored or better said “regulated” by the Food and drug administration ( FDA). The chemicals in the sunscreens are quite controversial. There is an urging from many groups that address oncology issues (in particular) to provide more data in regards to the safety of sunscreens. After all, we have been urged to use them continuously throughout the day and must be assured of the products safety.
Thank You so much for joining me today.
Be Well & Happy!
Cieloscent/skincare talk radio